Reflections on the 2018 BRECA Annual General Meeting

Reflections on the 2018 BRECA Annual General Meeting

A big THANK YOU! to our all-star lineup of guest speakers. This year, gracing the panel for our Annual event, we were honored to have the following:

  • State Assemblymember Ken Cooley,
  • Sacramento County Supervisor Don Nottoli,
  • Cordova Recreation and Park District (CRPD) District Administrator Patrick Larkin,
  • Deputy District Attorney Shauna Franklin,
  • Chief of Code Enforcement Barry Chamberlain,
  • CHP Officer Tommy Riggin,
  • Problem Oriented Policing (POP) Officer Deputy Mike Matranga, and
  • Park Ranger AJ Bennett.

Other key officials came to answer our questions and included our Neighborhood Police Officer Bill Winton as well as members of the Homeless Outreach Team (HOT) who serve our area.

This year’s event had the highest attendance in our history, and the feedback received from audience and speakers alike was very positive. The energy was high, the questions provocative and well thought-out, and answers provided were informative and appreciated.

The focus of this year’s meeting was “Homelessness and Crime”, and there were many questions around those issues. Our audience also asked our panel about our park, the parkway, code enforcement, traffic, development, and myriad of other issues as well. A very well-rounded representation of the issues and concerns within our community were addressed. The questions that we did not have time to address during the meeting were sent to the panel members, and answers were received later.

Homelessness and Crime

During the meeting, our audience learned how law enforcement works with other agencies and with the community to address different types of issues relating to the homeless.

For example, our State and local leaders have obtained funding for law enforcement and parks to work hand in glove to identify where the homeless congregate along the river or in our parks. They go into those communities, provide services to those who will accept them, identify and apply law enforcement remedies where they exist, and clean up the debris left behind. Needless to say it’s a daunting task.

These task forces rely quite a bit on community members to identify where the needs exist. Where we see an issue, they encourage us to report it so they know where to start. It’s important that we let them know. Even if we don’t think it will help, it starts the process in motion. Your report just may be the missing piece in an overall puzzle that they are putting together.

The panelists informed the audience about the differences between what they can do on public property vs. private property, and how code enforcement comes in to the mix.

The audience had several questions around code enforcement. On any given issue, to whom should we report and how do we know? Is it a code enforcement issue? A law enforcement issue? Some other jurisdiction? The answer is, we don’t really have to know. They’ll help us.

How to Report in Sacramento County?

  • Emergency – 911
  • Non-Emergency – Dial 311 or (916) 874-5115
  • Smartphone – Use the “Sac County 311 Connect” app

They will make sure it gets directed to the right department. The bottom line is, when in doubt, REPORT. They’ll figure it out.

The key takeaway from this meeting, above all else, is… REPORT. When in doubt, REPORT.  There’s not much the agencies can do if there is no formal report.

Social media (Facebook, Nextdoor, Twitter, etc.) is not the same as a formal report. The agencies are unable to take action based on social media. The best thing that we as a community (and as individuals) can do to help law enforcement, code enforcement, etc., help us is to REPORT. That’s the only thing that will start the ball rolling. Even if no action can be taken on a particular incident, the report creates a paper trail that can be followed up if problems arise later. It also allows them to track hot spots, patterns, and trends.

As an example, one panelist looked up a particular area of community concern that BRECA shared with her in preparation for the meeting. She found that zero reports from the community had been made about that issue. That’s right. Zero. I’m sad to say it, folks, but that part is on us. But we can do better. By reporting what we see (even if we think there is nothing they can do), we help them help us.

That report is the starting point, or may even be a missing link, that they need.

RIVIERA EAST PARK

The audience expressed a lot of interest in the status of our park, and was very pleased to hear what District Administrator Patrick Larkin had to say. He informed us that funding to fix the walkways in our park has been obtained. That news received a huge round of applause! We’ll have an updated status on this soon, so stay tuned. More to come on this!

TRAFFIC

Another area of interest to the community was traffic. Participants discussed one particular stop sign at Allegheny and Elmira where several people have witnessed drivers “running” the stop sign, and a number of people reported having almost been hit. Supervisor Nottoli has taken action to look into this. Not long after the meeting, BRECA received an email that this has been referred to Sacramento County Department of Transportation for review and action.

We didn’t have time for all of our questions during the meeting. So, after the meeting, our CHP Officer was able to respond to a question about traffic laws at the railroad tracks at Bradshaw and Folsom Blvd. The question was, “What are the stoplight (i.e., traffic) laws at light rail on Bradshaw and Folsom?”

Here is his response:

  • For northbound Bradshaw at the light rail tracks approaching a red light, traffic must stop at the double limit lines where it says “WAIT HERE,” since it is illegal to stop on railroad tracks.  Only if the traffic light is green can anyone pull forward of the railroad limit line(s).  The crosswalk along the intersection is to provide a marked safe route for pedestrians, and act as a limit line to motorists only if no unusual conditions, such as railroad tracks, were in place.
  • Since right turns can be made on a red light when safe, at this particular location, a motorist looking to make a right hand turn onto eastbound Folsom Boulevard must visually clear the intersection and check for eastbound traffic before moving forward to the crosswalk, provided no trains or pedestrians are approaching.  If the light is still red, the motorist must stop again at the crosswalk and ensure the intersection is clear before proceeding to make his/her right turn.

Folsom Blvd and Complete Streets Project

People were also very interested in the status of the “complete streets” project for Folsom Blvd. After the meeting, Supervisor Nottoli’s office followed up with an email, providing the following information:

  • Folsom Boulevard Complete Streets Project – recently approved for funding (for design, right-of-way and construction) from the State Active Transportation Program.  This project will construct improvements from Bradshaw Road to approximately La Riviera Drive, including new sidewalks along the south side, sidewalk upgrades on the north side, new buffered bike lanes throughout, landscaped medians and frontage landscaping and streetscape.  This project is now in the design phase with construction scheduled to begin in spring of 2020.  The Sacramento County Department of Transportation (SacDOT) will hold community meetings on the project in the coming year.
  • Pavement Overlay Project between Bradshaw and Butterfield Roads is scheduled to go to bid in June with construction this summer.  SacDOT is completing the design and right-of-way for the construction of new sidewalks on the north side of Folsom Boulevard east of Mayhew Road.  Sidewalks will be installed along the vacant property located across from the Butterfield light rail station.  This project is currently scheduled to be bid late this year and constructed in spring 2019.  The sidewalks will be designed and constructed to be compatible with the streetscape project coming in 2020.
  • Regarding the bike path near Rod Beaudry Drive, scroll down on the attached City of Rancho Cordova link regarding the Folsom Blvd. Beautification and Enhancement Project Phases IV and Vhttp://www.cityofranchocordova.org/government/public-works/plans-and-projects.

Toward the end of the meeting, the proposed ARCO AM/PM gas station at the northeast corner of Bradshaw and Folsom was discussed. Supervisor Nottoli shared that the plans had been brought to County Planning, and that the plan is currently on hold. BRECA and CORPAC (Cordova Community Planning Advisory Council) are both following this closely, so stay tuned to both of these forums if you are interested in this issue.

The evening was capped off with the drawing for River Cats ticket vouchers. Supervisor Nottoli’s office receives some vouchers from the River Cats organization to give away to community organizations. BRECA wishes to thank Supervisor Nottoli for choosing our community for this generous gift! The lucky drawing recipients were Rick Sloan, Amy Gillingwater, and David Frichtel and each recipient received two vouchers. Congratulations all!

Again, my sincerest thanks to everyone, speakers and community members alike, who made this such a successful meeting! Let’s do it again next year!!

For complete minutes of the 2018 BRECA Annual Meeting, click here.

If you aren’t already a BRECA member, please consider joining. Or if your membership has lapsed, please consider renewing. It’s only $10 per year. It’s easy! You can fill out an application and pay online, or download an application and send in a check. The application is on the BRECA website. Click here to join or renew today!

BRECA Steering Committee Meeting Minutes 05-22-18

BUTTERFIELD-RIVIERA EAST COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION
STEERING COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

DATE: May 22, 2018
PLACE:  Rancho Cordova Library, 9845 Folsom Blvd., Sacramento, California
MEETING TYPE:  BRECA Steering Committee Meeting

STEERING COMMITTEE MEMBERS PRESENT
Lori Christensen
Kelly Cohen
Bonnie Domeny
Rene Hamlin
Lynda Hammitt
Gay Jones
Jim Morgan
Andrea White

STEERING COMMITTEE MEMBER ABSENT
James Adams

NUMBER OF GUESTS/MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC: 11 

  1. Call to Order by Chair Lynda Hammitt
  2. Minutes of March 27, 2018
    Lynda Hammitt proposed some additional language for the draft minutes of March 27, 2018, which was agreed to.  Lori Christensen made a motion to approve the amended draft minutes.  Rene Hamlin seconded the motion.  The motion was approved unanimously.
  1. Questions or comments from the membership/community
    There were no questions or comments from the membership or community.
  1. Reports
    A. Treasurer
    The Treasurer reported a bank balance of $4,624.57.B. CORPAC
    Gay Jones reported that the County had offered training for Community Planning and Advisory Council (CPAC) members.  One of the ideas from the presenters was to have a discussion on policy settings for the CPACs.  Gay suggested BRECA’s guidelines from previous development proposals, which were to blend with the existing community, connectivity with the existing community, and full parkland dedication.

    C. Outreach Committee
    Rene Hamlin stated that the Outreach Committee had met after the General Meeting.  This General Meeting had the most attendance ever.  The Community Yard Sale is coming up on June 2.  They are putting up signs.  Lynda Hammitt commented that they have notified people on the BRECA membership list and Nextdoor.  Rene continued that the effort is in conjunction with the yard sale on Defiance Circle.  Two years ago they did printed maps, but it took too much time and effort, so that will not be done this year.

    Lynda Hammitt stated that they had received some feedback on the General Meeting on April 24.  One comment was that it was too long.  Maybe next year it should be shortened to 90 minutes.  Other suggestions for the future included having a list of upcoming events, handing out a piece of paper for people to write on, having a donation jar, and having microphones so people in back can hear.  There was also a comment that it was hot in the back of the room.  Lynda will get an article out for the BRECA website.

    Gay Jones commented that she had feedback from neighbors that BRECA had pulled in the “heavy hitters” of the County.  Jay Domeny commented that it was a lot to have in one meeting, and Lynda Hammitt did well in controlling it.  Bonnie Domeny commented that she had feedback that nobody dominated the meeting.  Andrea White commented that she had feedback from panelists that the meeting was well organized.

    Andrea White stated that the Outreach Committee had also talked about having a “Little Library” in the park.  They could have a bulletin board on the Little Library.  Andrea had talked to the Cordova Recreation and Park District Administrator, and he said that the Little Library was a good idea.

    Lori Christensen stated that the Outreach Committee also discussed having an information packet to welcome new people to the neighborhood.

  1. Old Business
    A. Neighborhood Bike Ride & Ice Cream Social on May 23rd
    Gay Jones stated that the Neighborhood Bike Ride is tomorrow, meeting at 5:30 pm at the Library for a safety check.  They will ride around the neighborhood from 6:00 to 7:00 pm, then have an ice cream social.B. Yard Sale
    See Item 4c above.  Lynda Hammitt stated that people should send addresses to BRECA.org or , also photos for advertising.  Bonnie Domeny stated that she is making a map for people to see or print.

    C. Cal Am
    Gay Jones reminded people that BRECA is an official party to the California American (Cal Am) General Rate Case.  The General Rate Case happens every three years, where Cal Am petitions for increases in rates.  Right now the question under review is what the impact of Federal tax cuts will be.  The Office of Ratepayer Advocates is advocating return of the money to the ratepayers.  Right now there is nothing to do except wait and see.

    D. Steering Committee Election Results
    Jim Morgan read the results as counted by Terry and Don Joley.  The results, in the same order as the ballot, were:

42  James Adams*
32  Andrea White*
32  Carmen Mitchell*
40  Bonnie Domeny*
32  Rene Hamlin*
29  Kelly Cohen
37  Lori Christensen*
26  Ken Crawford
36  Lynda Hammitt*
36  Gay Jones*
35  Jim Morgan*

Candidates with a “*” after their names were elected to the Steering Committee.

E. From the Floor
Gay Jones stated that there is going to be a Metro Fire Camp, which is open to kids ages 11-13.  It involves a day camp for a week of firefighting stuff.  The deadline for applying is Friday.

  1. New Business
    A. Arco Gas Station
    Jim Morgan stated that after some effort he had received, from Supervisor Nottoli’s office, a copy of the application for an ARCO gas station to be located at the north-east corner of Bradshaw Rd. and Folsom Blvd.  The project, however, is on hold, owing to an unspecified “easement” issue.  It is anticipated that there will be a redesign of the proposal before it goes forward.A member of the audience asked whether there is an ARCO proposed for Bradshaw Road and Keifer.  It was affirmed that the proposal had been approved.

    Lori Christensen stated that the big gas tanks on the other side of Folsom Blvd. are a concern: what if something happened?  Gay Jones commented that there is an emergency response plan identified in the County hazard response plan.

    Gay Jones commented that there are some immediate concerns with the proposal, including 24 hour operation.  She is calling the County environmental division about various issues.

B. Budget Increase for Steering Committee Election
Jim Morgan stated that the Steering Committee Election had gone slightly over budget at $213.93 compared to $205 authorized.

Andrea White stated that the web site had also gone over budget at  $146.83 compared to $130 authorized.

Gay Jones made a motion to increase the budget for the Steering Committee Election to $220 and the web site to $150.  Rene Hamlin seconded the motion.  The motion was approved unanimously.

C. Starthistle Removal Date
After some discussion, June 16th was agreed upon as the date for Starthistle removal.

D. From the Floor
Lynda Hammitt stated that there is a new Gardening Club, which meets on the third Saturday of the month at 2:00 pm.  The next meeting will be June 16.
Lori Christensen observed that someone had adopted the parcel at Linda Rio Dr. and Butterfield Way.  They have taken out all the weeds, and put in some native plants.  They plan to put in wood chips to cover the rest.

  1. Meeting adjourned.

The next meeting will be a Steering Committee Meeting on Tuesday, June 26, 2018, at the Rancho Cordova Library.

BRECA Steering Committee Meeting Minutes 04-24-18

BUTTERFIELD-RIVIERA EAST COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION
GENERAL MEETING MINUTES

DATE: April 24, 2018
PLACE:  Rancho Cordova Library, 9845 Folsom Blvd., Sacramento, California
MEETING TYPE:  BRECA General Meeting

STEERING COMMITTEE MEMBERS PRESENT
James Adams
Lori Christensen
Kelly Cohen
Bonnie Domeny
Rene Hamlin
Lynda Hammitt
Gay Jones
Jim Morgan
Andrea White

STEERING COMMITTEE MEMBERS ABSENT: NONE

NUMBER OF GUESTS/MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC: 91

  1. Welcome from Chair Lynda Hammitt
  2. Introduction from the Chair

Lynda Hammitt introduced the members of the panel and described the format of the meeting.  Panelists will give short introductory statements, and then respond to questions, first to written questions, and then to questions from the floor.

The members of the panel were:
Ken Cooley, California State Assemblyman,
Patrick Larkin, District Administrator, Cordova Recreation and Park District (CRPD),
Barry Chamberlin, Chief, Sacramento County Code Enforcement,
Mike Matranga, Sacramento County Sheriff’s deputy, and Problem Oriented Policing (POP) officer,
Don Nottoli, Sacramento County Supervisor,
Tommy Riggin, California Highway Patrol (CHP),
AJ Bennett, Sacramento County Parks Ranger, and
Shauna Franklin, Sacramento County District Attorney’s (DA’s) office.

  1. Introductory Statements from the Panel

Ken Cooley, California State Assemblyman, stated that he had lived in Rancho Cordova for 41 years, was on the Rancho Cordova City Council, and was one of the people who founded Rancho Cordova.  He believes in public service.

Patrick Larkin, District Administrator for the CRPD, stated that this year is the 60th anniversary of the founding of the CRPD.  They are going to have a celebration at the Lincoln Park and pool in July.  The CRPD is entering into water conservation efforts due to water bills going up.  They want the public to notify the district if they see irrigation or sprinkler issues.  Concerning the local park, Riviera East, the pathways are to be replaced in the coming Fiscal Year, and should be complete June 30, 2019.  They are also looking at the inventory and usage of tennis courts.  If they are well used, they can be kept, but if not, they can be changed to some other use.

Barry Chamberlain, Sacramento County Chief Code Enforcement Officer, stated that they are reinventing the illegal dumping team; if people see illegal dumping, call 311.  They are also looking at overgrown vegetation; if people see overgrown vegetation, call 311.  This is also growing season for marijuana; if people suspect illegal growing, call 311.  He further stated that Code Enforcement now has 43 officers, which is about twice as many as five years ago.  He has been Chief Code Enforcement Officer for three years, and wants our feedback.

Mike Matranga, Problem Oriented Policing (POP) officer with the Sacramento County Sheriff’s office, stated that he is not the typical patrol officer that responds to 911 calls.  They focus on specific problems, and put together short and long term goals for those problems.  He also had officers with the Homeless Outreach Team (HOT) at the meeting.

Don Nottoli, Sacramento County Supervisor, stated that he has been a Supervisor for 24 years.  The district goes from the American River to the Antioch Bridge.  He stated that the County works for the community.  As they have come out of the recession, they have been emphasizing quality of life issues.  Last year the Board of Supervisors added $11 million to homelessness and Parkway issues.  The County as a whole has about 1.5 million people, of which about 600 thousand are in the unincorporated area.  He stated that he wished to thank BRECA for representing the area.

Tommy Riggin, with the CHP, stated that they do traffic enforcement.  Their area includes from Watt Ave. to the County line.  They don’t see much activity in the BRECA area.  There have been about 4 crashes in the neighborhood.

AJ Bennett, with the Sacramento County Park Rangers, stated that he is the steward for the American River Parkway in this area.  If people have concerns, they can call 311, or go to Sacramento County Parks on the web.  He stated that the BRECA area is pretty quiet, and does not have too many issues.

Shauna Franklin, with the Sacramento County DA’s office, stated that she has been a deputy District Attorney for 20 years.  She has been a community prosecutor for two years.  During the recession, community prosecution was eliminated, but it was recently restarted by District Attorney Schubert.

  1. Responses to Questions

The first written question posed to the panel was: How do State, County, and local government and agencies collaborate to resolve problems related to homelessness and crime?  For example how do the handoffs of responsibilities occur, what kind of success have you seen, and how can the community help?

POP Officer Matranga stated homelessness used to be treated as an enforcement issue, focusing on crimes committed in a certain area.  That model didn’t really work.  Now there is a HOT team that takes a different approach.

Two Sheriff’s deputies with the HOT team elaborated on those comments.  It was stated that they work with community organizations including Goodwill, Deseret Industries, and code enforcement.  The goal is to get one person into a stable living environment.  This is hard.  Most homeless people have mental health and/or substance abuse issues.  With more funding from the County, they were able to hold an event in Fair Oaks that was a one-stop shop for helping homeless people get connected with services.

Supervisor Nottoli stated that the County is trying to use a more comprehensive approach.  Not everybody is ready.  They are pushing hard on the lower American River Parkway area, where 25 tons of trash was removed in one day.  They are trying various approaches to find out what works.

Patrick Larkin, CRPD Administrator, stated that they work with the HOT team in Rancho Cordova.  Parks staff do initial contact, and the HOT team follows up.

Ken Cooley, State Assemblyman, stated that at the state level they really don’t understand the explosion of homelessness.  The State generally works on separate areas, e.g. veterans, children.  Rancho Cordova has about 30% of the emergency housing (in the County), but have services, so that is not a problem for the community.

A member of the audience stated that there are homeless people with severe medical issues, such as an amputee, and wondered how we can help?

A member of the HOT team stated that they could contact the HOT team, and the HOT team could connect with the individual and get help for them.  The best thing is not to provide services to people on street corners.  There is a County ordinance against panhandling.

The second written question posed to the panel was what are best practices for homeless, drugs, and trespass on commercial properties?

A member of the HOT team responded that the team works with businesses.  The businesses contact the team, and the team contacts the homeless person.  The HOT team can tell the homeless person to leave or use power of trespass.  If the homeless person has taken up residence, the team must give them 48 hours to vacate the area.  The team cannot simply take the homeless person’s property.  If the homeless person will not vacate, they can be charged with a crime.

An audience member stated that he works for Regional Transit and rides the light rail trains frequently.  Homelessness along the tracks is out of control.  They just keep coming back.  This new “theory” is not working.  He also stated that Vince’s Motel and Casa Linda motel are magnets for homeless and prostitution.

A member of the HOT team responded that they have only been into the new approach for a few months, and it will take time to see if it works.  POP Officer Matranga stated that Vince’s has cleaned up a bit.  The people who run Casa Linda are not good at what they are doing.  Homelessness is a national issue: we as a society have created this problem.  There is an officer assigned to Regional Transit: if you bring specific issues to them, they can deploy resources.  They need to know where homeless people are camping.

Shauna Franklin, with the DA’s office, stated that it is imperative for the community members to call them: use the 311 number.  Resources are directed largely by calls from the community.

Supervisor Nottoli stated that they are putting more resources into the problems.  They are not putting the homeless in jails or mental institutions anymore.

Barry Chamberlain, with County Code Enforcement, stated that the Casa Linda issue has gone from Code Enforcement to the community prosecutor, and that Shauna Franklin has met with the owners of Casa Linda.

Shauna Franklin, with the DA’s office, continued that there is a code called “criminal nuisance” that can be used.  However, it is a tough standard to meet.  They have looked as Casa Linda.  There have been 50 calls for service from people staying at Casa Linda, but none from the community.  They do not want to put businesses out of business.  If people have an issue with Casa Linda, they need to contact the County at 311.

A member of the audience asked if it is true that Vince’s is a dumping ground for criminals when they are released?

POP Officer Matranga stated NO, that is not the case.  They do not give rides to Vince’s.

A member of the audience stated that they had purchased the Church property next door to Casa Linda, and have picked up needles and crack pipes.  When they called the Sheriff, they Sheriff’s officers responded.

POP Officer Matranga stated that that if somebody cleans up a property, it helps adjacent areas.

A third written question was whether there is any chance of getting speed bumps in front of the Park on Mira Del Rio (Riviera East Park)?

Supervisor Nottoli stated that there is a process for doing that, and the person should contact him.

A fourth written question concerned a stop sign at Allegheny and Elmira that people regularly “blow through.”

CHP Officer Riggin stated that people should contact the CHP, there are things they can do.  People complain but don’t contact the CHP.

Supervisor Nottoli commented that there are also physical measures that can be put in place.

A fifth written question was for Code Enforcement.  The question was what can be done about people who do not maintain their house, and the same for businesses.

Barry Chamberlain, with County Code Enforcement, stated that people should call Code Enforcement, and that they have lots of ability to clean up businesses.  Residential is another matter.  If there are lots of vehicles, they can check out the situation.  Regarding front yards, if a house is vacant, they can cut the lawn and bill the owner.  If the house is not vacant, there is less that can be done.  They don’t enforce on ugly.  Call Barry Chamberlain and he can tell you what they can do.

An audience member asked what the County is doing to attract quality businesses to Folsom Blvd, and what happened to plans for development of the Drive-In theaters?

Supervisor Nottoli stated that The Landing (the Drive-In theaters site) still has an approved redevelopment plan.  But, the economy has changed, and big retailers are going down.  They are still intent on doing something.  There was recently a workshop at the Board of Supervisors about revitalizing aging corridors.  It is a challenge for the entire County, and he is not sure what they will come up with.

Ken Cooley, State Assemblyman, stated that they had lined up funds to do improvements to Folsom Blvd. in Rancho Cordova.  Also, they have knocked down problem properties like the Stagger Inn.  However, there are hundreds of small properties on Folsom Blvd., and that makes it a challenge to prime the pump.

A member of the audience asked whether anything is happening on the property next to the Folsom Community College.

Assemblyman Cooley responded that the property owner is in the bay area, and is just sitting on it.  There is a problem with contamination from a cleaners on the site.

A member of the audience asked what is happening on the big lot opposite the Light Rail Station.

Supervisor Nottoli stated that the map has expired.  There is a new owner, who will probably want to do something different.  The emphasis now is on higher density, which State laws are pushing.  The State is taking away local control.

A member of the audience stated that there is a shipping container behind their house, in back of a business.

POP Officer Matranga state that their goal is to have it moved into a locked and fenced area.  Pita Q owns it, and it will cost some money to move.  It will get moved eventually.  He also noted that the gate has been fixed.

A sixth written question was whether there is a defined law on electric bicycles on the Parkway?

Park Ranger AJ Bennett stated that there have been recent changes, and smaller ones are now allowed on the bike trail.  There is a 15 mph speed limit.

A seventh written question was how long can a 5th wheeler or RV be parked in a neighborhood?

Barry Chamberlain, with County Code Enforcement, stated that a trailer has to be attached to a truck.

An eighth written question concerned a place next to Appalachian Dr. at Riviera East Park where crimes, including weed, sex, and heroin occur.

POP Officer Matranga stated that this is a lower priority situation.  If it is something that happens regularly, he can follow up.  Every park at night has similar problems.  He needs a description of the car, especially the license plate.

A ninth written question was whether the County cares if people go through our mixed recycling at night?

Barry Chamberlain, with County Code Enforcement, advised to call 311.

A tenth written question concerned the pool at Hagan Park.

Patrick Larkin, CRPD Administrator, stated that they expect to have it open by summer 2020.  They are trying to find out what the community wants from the pool, and not just repeat what was done a long time ago.

A question from the audience concerned landscaping on Folsom Blvd.

Supervisor Nottoli stated that the County is working on getting grant funding for a project.

A question from the audience concerned the area of Folsom Blvd. from Rod Beaudry to Bradshaw.

Supervisor Nottoli stated that Rancho Cordova is doing that part.

An eleventh written question concerned a proposal to build an ARCO gas station at Folsom Blvd. and Bradshaw Road.

Supervisor Nottoli stated that a development proposal has been submitted to County Planning.  However, the proposal is incomplete.  Service stations have to come before the Board of Supervisors.  Evidently there is an easement issue.  He stated that he has a copy of the proposed site plan, but that it is not ready to go before the Cordova Community Planning and Advisory Council (CORPAC).

An audience member asked whether, hypothetically, if the community didn’t want it there, would an alternative location be considered?

Supervisor Nottoli stated that if there is interest, the developer could be contacted.

  1. Meeting adjourned.

The next meeting will be a regular Steering Committee meeting on May 22, 2018, at the Rancho Cordova Library